On July 28th, 2011, Debbie Smith received a phone call that no parent should ever receive. Her son Matthew lost his battle with addiction and had passed away from a heroin overdose in the bedroom that he grew up in. Matthew was a school athlete growing up, participating in sports, including baseball, wrestling and football. He was known as a very hard and dedicated worker before struggling with an addiction to prescription pain medications during high school.
Matthew died at the age of 26. As a member of CARE’s Board of Directors, like all of the staff and volunteers at CARE, to Debbie, ending this epidemic that is shattering our communities is deeply personal.